Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Introducing Pol






I live in the South Island of New Zealand, an area with a small human population compared to its landmass.  I enjoy photography, but don’t call myself a photographer, as by training and profession I am an entomologist, with a former life as a secondary school physics teacher.  I have had a camera since I was a child, taking photographs mainly on trips and holidays.  Joining the Nature Photography Society of New Zealand (NPSNZ) in 2005 gave me the impetus to take photography more seriously.  Then just over a year ago I began posting daily images on Blipfoto, and this has helped me further develop my photography. 

My favourite shooting locations are mountains and deserts.  I am especially attracted to the national parks and other natural areas of western North America, where a camping and hiking lifestyle lends itself to my kind of photography.  At home in New Zealand I like to camp up high to take advantage of the morning and evening light without having to drive to places in the dark. 

I like to photograph landscapes, rocks, trees, flowers, mammals more than birds, lizards and occasionally insects.  My preferred approach is fast and light. To capture the moment during fast-changing lighting conditions, a moving animal, or plant blowing in the wind, I want to be instantly in the right place, ready to click the shutter, so I handhold my camera whenever possible.

The North American publication, ‘Outdoor Photographer’ is my favourite magazine, and the late Galen Rowell, one of its former columnists, was my early inspiration.  I still enjoy his work in the Mountain Light Gallery in Bishop, California.  I also appreciate many other photographers, but don’t have any particular favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment